Monday, October 24, 2016

Saying Goodbye to a Beloved Friend

Today was a very difficult day.  Today I lost a dear, long time friend. 

My friend was a giant pine tree.  He has stood sentinel at the front corner of our house since well before we moved here 24 years ago.  I always viewed this tree as a protector, guarding us quietly as it stood in majestic beauty. But the years took their toll, and he began to die a couple of years ago. Even so, it was so very hard to say goodbye! I love my trees, they have taught me so much. They have shown me you have to stand strong and tall, and hold your ground, but also be flexible enough to bend with the storms.  

Next spring, we will plant another pine in his honor.  I have saved a bit of the wood, not sure if I will be able to carve it, but maybe I can make a couple things.  I would like to make a turned bowl, I saved a nice sized slice.  I cannot think of any other way to honor this tree who has watched over us all these years.

Goodbye, old friend. I will always miss you.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment