Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Lesson Learned

When we are young, we think somehow that we have all the time in the world to do the things we want to do.  But in the words of someone wise,
"LIFE" is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

Over 20 years ago, I stopped doing what I loved the most--needlepoint/petitpoint--in order to pursue new crafts and new ideas. None of which I was very good at.  Unlike needlepoint, which I can say with all modesty, I excelled at.  This is not to brag--it is just a simple fact.  While most of the world seemed to be doing tedious stitch exercises, or stitching goofy looking frogs, I was quietly creating masterpieces.  Not MY words--I was told this by everyone who saw my work.  Yet I blithely set it aside, to come back to "some day".

The trouble with "some day", is that it doesn't exist, except in our minds. I learned this all too well when I decided to go back to my first love, and discovered that my eyes had other plans.

I learned I was going blind.  I am slowly losing my eyesight to macular degeneration, at the age of 66.  I am taking special vitamins, but this is not going to "fix" me.  After dealing with the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, and coming to terms with the fact that I had lost part of "me"--now I was facing blindness.  As an artist, there is nothing that could have been more devastating.  I was actually diagnosed over a year ago, but am only now able to talk about it.  I mean, it's not like you can send out announcements saying HEY GUESS WHAT??  I am going blind!!  I went through all the emotions, I threw myself a pity party, and now I am ready and eager to use the time I have left-and the eyesight I have left--to do what I love the most.

To this end, I bought myself a magnifier/light, and am back to working on my tapestries.   I may never "finish" them--but for now, I am happy.  I am content.  I am doing what I was meant to do.

And here is SUMMER, from a painting by Alphonse Mucha.  Petit point, 18 mesh canvas.  That translates to 324 tiny stitches per square inch, every single one of them put in by hand, one at a time.



No comments:

Post a Comment