Friday, January 22, 2016

Mystery Antique Wooden Doll



This incredible wooden doll has come to live with me.  She is all wood, mostly hand carved, and a whopping 26" tall.  She is a mystery, and I am hoping I can discover her past.
All I know is, she was purchased from an artists estate in Greenwich, Connecticut in the 1930's.  She has spring joints, much like the dolls by Schoenhut, but she is not marked or signed.  She is also out of proportion, which I find very odd for an artists mannequin--her legs are too short, her feet too small, and her hands are not well carved and are very primitive compared to the rest of her.  Were they added later?  I don't think so, they look original.

When she arrived, she had a human hair "wig" that was disgustingly filthy, it got bagged and stashed away.  She also had bright red lips, which appeared to have been (badly) repainted and not original.  I repainted them to go with her overall coloring.  Her eyes are mesmerizing--you could literally get lost in them. She is a very heavy wood, I estimate her weight to be about 40-45 pounds.

She has an amazing presence and aura.  If anyone knows anything about her, I would love to hear it! Due to the style of her face painting, which looked very definitely Italian to me, I have named her Giovanna Rosa.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment