Monday, October 20, 2014

Colds and Flu season coming--Moms home recipe!

Growing up in a large family, we had our share of colds and flu.  My mom always mixed up a jar full of her special cough syrup.  I have passed this recipe on to family and friends over the years.  They all swear by it!!  There are now tons of variations of it online, which always makes me smile--because I never heard of anyone else making this when I was a young!

WARNING; this recipe contains alcohol.   Do not use it if you have to be out driving or working!

Mom took a canning jar, and used equal parts of
honey
lemon juice
whiskey
(I use 1 cup of each)

Shake well.  Take 1-2 tablespoons as needed. Keep the jar in the refrigerator.  The honey soothes your throat, the lemon juice cuts the phlegm, and the whiskey helps you sleep.  If you are an adult, and are going to be home, put some in a mug with a little water, heat it in the microwave, and drink before bedtime.  Better than all those store bought, expensive, chemical filled concoctions.  You can also add a shake of ginger powder and a shake of cayenne pepper, these are also good for colds.

Stay healthy!

2 comments: