Friday, October 3, 2014

My Thoughts Lately

All around, everywhere you turn, there is nothing but bad news.  I can't do anything about it, so why let it bother me?  Well, because I am human--
so I find my comfort in my rug hooking.  As the colors bloom and change beneath my hand, peace begins to fill my brain.  Only good, happy thoughts come in.  I am hooking Evies portrait. Evie, in case it isn't widely known, is a tiny wooden doll I carved--all 6 and 1/2" of her.

To see her "life sized" was rather startling at first!  But I found my thoughts wandering all over the place, and one of the things that kept creeping into my mind was, what if Evie WAS a real girl?  Now, I KNOW she is a doll--but let's say, like Pinocchio, she  suddenly turned into a real girl.  A light went on in my brain.  That light that always shines brightest when I am cooking up some new project.  So as I sat hooking a portrait of a doll, I thought, "How would she look if she WAS real?  If I portrayed her as real?  Put her in a nice setting, gave her realistic hands, shaded her face to look more human than doll-like.  Would it still be Evie?  The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.  It may end up a flop, but I have to see what I can do with this.

AFTER her portrait is done, of course!  It's good to plan projects for over the long Minnesota winter.

And it's good to get your mind away from the terrible things going on in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment